Legal Decision Making for Children in Arizona
Arizona Child Custody Lawyer Handles Cases Involving Legal Decision Making for Children in Scottsdale and Phoenix, AZ
Legal decision making refers to the authority to make major decisions on behalf of a child. While parents may be able to come to an agreement regarding how legal decision-making responsibilities for a child should be divided between them, when this matter is disputed, it will be up to the courts to step in and decide whether joint or sole legal decision making should be granted in a particular case.
Given that legal decision making responsibilities can have significant impacts on a child, it’s in everyone’s best interests in these cases to retain an experienced lawyer to help them assert their rights and resolve these disputes. If you need help resolving a dispute regarding legal decision making for your child, you can trust Scottsdale Family Lawyer Karen A. Schoenau for experienced help and the best possible outcome to your case.
Legal Decision Making in Arizona: Joint Versus Sole Legal Decision Making
When the courts are called to rule on disputes related to legal decision making responsibilities for a child, determining what is in the child’s best interest will be of primary concern. To this end, the following are just some of the factors that court may consider:
- The age and health of the child.
- The physical and mental health of both parents.
- Whether either parent has a history of domestic violence, alcoholism, and/or drug abuse.
- The child’s and the parent’s preferences regarding legal decision making.
If, after considering the above (and possibly other) factors, the court may award:
- Joint legal decision making, in which both parents will have equal say in making important decisions for their children. In some cases when joint legal decision making is granted, the court may rule that only one parent can make decisions regarding certain issues or factors.
- Sole legal decision making, in which one parent will have the authority to make significant decisions on behalf of a child. While sole legal decision making can be granted in cases when one parent is not seen as fit to make important decisions on behalf of a child, it may also be awarded when parents can’t agree on the split of legal decision making responsibilities.
Scottsdale Custody and Legal Decision Making Lawyer at the Law Office of Karen A. Schoenau in Arizona
Do you need help obtaining or changing legal decision making responsibilities for your child? If so, you can trust Scottsdale Custody and Family Law Attorney Karen Schoenau for experienced help, honest answers, and effective representation. Since 1987, Karen Schoenau has been committed to helping people resolve their sensitive family law matters, including complex cases related to divorce and custody issues.
Dedicated to providing the highest-quality legal services at reasonable rates, Scottsdale Custody and Family Law Attorney Karen Schoenau will always:
- Work closely with each of her clients to help them understand their best options for resolving their custody and family law issues.
- Keep her clients informed about the progress of their case.
- Help her clients get through the emotional and psychological impacts related to their family legal issues.
- Aggressively advocate her clients’ best interests in any legal setting.
- Work diligently and relentlessly to help her clients bring their custody cases to successful resolutions.
Contact Us Today to Discuss Your Child Custody Case in Scottsdale, AZ
To receive professional advice and learn more about how we can help you, schedule an initial consultation with Attorney Karen Schoenau. You can set up this meeting by calling 480-209-1918 or by emailing us using the contact form.
From her offices based in Scottsdale, Attorney Karen Schoenau represents clients throughout the metropolitan Phoenix area and the state of Arizona, including Scottsdale, Mesa, Surprise, Maricopa County, Pinal County, and Gila County.